Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Eighteen Years

On Monday Eric and I celebrated our 18th wedding anniversary.  Marriage is not always easy and Paul did warn that "those who marry will face many troubles in the life," but I have to say it has been a joy to spend 18 years of life together with my husband.  To be his encourager and helpmeet has been both delightful and stretching--don't we discover our own selfishness about one minute after we say "I do?"

We dropped the kids off at my parents house (kids think anniversaries are a great reason to celebrate spending time with grandparents!) and went out to Biaggi's for supper.  It has been years since we've been there since Eric is not a fan of large chunks of tomato in his meal, and has memories of this from the last time we had gone.  Still, I had recently read in Consumer Reports that Biaggi's scored top marks for customer satisfaction, and a good friend told me they had an extensive GF menu. 

Eric and I do not have celiac and as far as we know, cross contamination is not an issue, so I can't speak to the needs of those who have to be extra careful.  We are trying a GF diet both out as a way to identify with Josiah's needs as well as to see if there is any truth to the saying "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree."  So far, Eric has noticed less headaches (although that could also be because he has finally cleared all artificials from his diet, too early to tell) and I have noticed that the 2 second delay I used to feel in conversations has vanished.  (I had no idea that was brain fog!!)  In the past I have noticed that gluten does exacerbate my heartburn but it is not the only food that does.  So, the jury is still out, but I have to say that so far there really is not much that I miss, and my body seems to like low carbs so that has been good, too.

Our server was wonderful and quickly got us settled with GF menus.  The flatbread and dip were delicious!  Eric chose a GF pizza and I ordered a salad with grilled chicken.  Both were very good.  While we didn't have dessert, there were several choices available that could be prepared GF.  Looking at the menu, we would love to go back again at lunch (when prices are cheaper) and try some pasta.  I'm sure Eric will steer clear of chunky tomato dishes.

It is wonderful to have a reason to celebrate and nice to know that someday, we may have another local restaurant option for Josiah.  I pray every day that his food sensitivities will heal at least in part, and we've seen good evidence that at least when it comes to stage 2 fruit, some things are improving.  In the meantime, we hope to have many more annivesaries ahead of us!

No comments: