Saturday, April 14, 2012

the best thing?

Yesterday my husband I had the privilege of attending our first homeschooling conference in over a decade.  The last time we went, Micah was still a baby and we were just exploring the idea.  Now we are in the midst of the adventure. It was refreshing to be among other homeschoolers, to hear Biblical teaching regarding our heart attitudes as we face the daily adventure of home educating children, and to peek at curriculum we are mulling over for next year.  Our favorite speaker had to be Math U See's Steve Demme, who spoke not about math but about family life.  His humor lightened our load but his transparency in sharing his own family's struggles with feeling the need to look like the picture perfect homeschool family touched and encouraged our hearts.  If you ever have the opportunity to hear him speak, it's well worth it!

I also enjoyed listening to a Peoria pastor explore a Biblical understanding of idols and the unique tendencies and temptations homeschooling families have in making an idol of family.  An outline of a part of his talk can be found on his blog here.  It should not be a surprise that something that God can use for such wondrous good in the lives of bringing up and educating children can also be an arena for Satan to trip up our hearts.  It is good to recognize, be on guard against, and root out such idolatry. 

One of the best questions of the day, however, was when another homeschool mom asked me, "What is the best thing you've done this year?"  Besides homeschool, you mean? :)  What a wonderful question to ask as we consider where we have been this year and what we will do in the next.  God has been very gracious to guide our family in this homeschooling journey.  It's hard for me to choose just one thing, but here's what came to my mind:

1.) Our core curriculum. 
We use Sonlight, and that works well for a family that loves to read.  The kids were already bookworms but now they are more likely than ever to pick up a book and read in their spare time.  I've also noticed that what they are choosing for reading material is of much higher quality than it used to be.  There's an uptick in vocabulary and comprehension that is also a delight to see!  But best of all are the discussions we can have about culture, heart issues, and character that are a natural conversation when reading good literature.  Homeschooling or not, reading together is a great way to nurture children's minds and hearts.

2.) Math
This first year has been one of putting down what doesn't work to pick up what does.  For the older kids, I don't know how long we have in this special season of homeschooling, and at this point in their education I feel a special need to strengthen weaknesses and gaps in learning by the choices we are making in curriculum.  Halfway through the year I switched Rachel from a computer based math program to Math U See.  The difference in her understanding of math concepts has been dramatic.  Now she doesn't just know how to do fractions, she knows the why the math behind them works.  It has been a good fit for Josiah as well, and after Micah viewed the algebra demo online, he's hooked.  That is not to endorse Math U See for everyone, but simply to say it is gratifying to find a curriculum that works after years of watching a child struggle to understand and apply knowledge to a subject area, especially math.  Not every child learns the same way, and I've learned it is wise to study my children to discern the best way for them to grasp a concept that hasn't come easily.

3.) Writing
This was Eric's answer because he's seen the kids' writing samples develop from the beginning of the year and has been impressed (I guess!).  Finding a solid writing curriculum helped me equip the kids to be better writers.  I really could apply many of the techniques they are learning here and improve my own writing.  Oh, to have time to be a student again myself!

4.) Learning to persevere. 
Ultimately, while I can make choices about curriculum, nothing will be gained without follow through.  While I am certainly in process as I develop as my children's teacher, I've learned to appreciate the daily, step by step, skill by skill process of learning.  I don't expect my children to absorb everything all at once, and it has helped me to appreciate God does not expect that of me, either.  Rachel recently brought home this quote from a poster after testing at a local private Christian school, "Sow a thought, and you reap an act; Sow an act, and you reap a habit; Sow a habit, and you reap a character; Sow a character, and you reap a destiny." It is humbling to consider that the little things we do daily are part of who we will become.    

What about you?  If you are a homeschooler, what has been the best thing you've done this year?  If you are a public or private school parent, what has been the best thing about your child's year as you have supported their education?  I'd love to hear!!

No comments: