Thursday, April 12, 2012

April is Autism Awareness Month

Long ago, in a galaxy far away (before kids), I was a special education teacher.  My interest in entering the field first came about because of something called autism.  Not much was known about the disorder back then (about 20 years ago) and there is still too little known about it today.  I remember vividly that the incidence of autism at that time was listed as 1 in 10,000 children.  Today it is 1 in 88.

I had the privilege of teaching several children with autism, and working with their families.  That experience taught me a great deal about the intensity of daily living with children who are overloaded with sensory dysfunctions, and who are often unable to relate socially with some awkwardness at best and exhibit complete dysfunction at worst.  I saw the devastation of one mother whose 3 sons were all diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum within 5 years.  In those not-so-long-ago days, that was extremely rare.

My heart goes out to families of children with autism.  There are many brave parents fighting daily for their children, who have hope not for a cure (they are rare) but simply for improvement.  Some are seeing victories, others are ready to give up, most hang on somewhere in between.  There are incredible financial costs.  Parents wonder what the future holds for their children when they grow up and especially when they are no longer there to care for them.  But most of all my heart goes out to the children themselves who are affected, these tremendous bundles of God-given potential trapped inside a body that does not function properly.  They are no less precious to God in their affliction, and they teach us to have a proper perspective on the incredible trust and responsibility we are given to develop and use our abilities to serve God and others when our bodies function as they should.

The odds, 1 in 88, with a rapid increase over only 20 years, are what most disturb me.  I may not personally know or deal with anyone with autism now, but I'm concerned for my grandchildren, as well as for this and the next generation.  I believe there is more going on than an increased diagnosis, that there truly is an increase in incidence. 

Seeing diet used in the treatment of autism is not new (from the early days I read about "cures" from removing milk or adding the right combination of vitamins), but the breakthroughs of the past several years are.  Many children with autism are known for craving carbohydrate foods and dairy to the exclusion of almost everything else.  Is it any wonder that a GFCF diet has helped some of these children?  More recently, GAPS has been used by some brave families willing to put forth the effort.  One of the most remarkable before and after videos I have seen can be viewed here, on this mom's blog.  She will admit things are not perfect.  But a year later, they are better.  Amazingly better.  It gives me hope for the future of autism.  I'm praying for more breakthroughs.

No comments: