Wednesday, August 3, 2011

life lessons via 4-H

Today was the first day of our county's 4-H fair.  The kids have done very well so far, but my daughter's dissappointment over a red ribbon led me to ponder what the judges don't see.  These are the real reasons we do 4-H, and we enjoy it more every year.

The judges don't see:

-My daughter, who can now make cookies by herself from first step to last.  My oldest son, who made scones with dried cherries completely on his own.  My youngest son, picking the dried cherries out of the scones when he eats them.

-The dedication of my son in putting together a poster completely by himself this year, and then the look on his face when he realized it was so much easier and better than when he started this project area 2 years ago.  The look on his face when he won Reserved Best of Class.

-My daughter, re-drawing her bookmark three times because she wanted it to look just right.  She is not particularly gifted in drawing, but she worked hard to make it look her best.

-Ideas, ideas, swirling around until one was landed on for dog costume: the Coyote and the Road Runner.  I can't sew, but we are going to have a blast with this anyway.  We hope the Coyote will cooperate, but if he doesn't, he will be more realistic, right?

-Precious time spent together as my husband and son wired his electricity project.

-The realization that next year, we can do more because they are so much more independent.  The anticipation of all they are going to learn.

Great job to all you 4-Hers out there!  We count it a blessing to be among you.  And our sincere thanks to the judges who do their job well.  We can't all get a blue ribbon in everything, but we can have fun, learn, and grow in the process.

No comments: