Sunday, June 12, 2011

Simple Woman's Daybook


Outside my window...it is a lovely day.  What am I doing in front of the computer?  Josiah and I will head to the park later this afternoon.  Eric is at Starved Rock with our church's college class.  What a perfect day for hiking there!


I am thinking...that a week without my oldest two children is plenty long enough!  The house is quieter, things stay cleaner, there is less laundry, and I'm ready for all of that that to change.  They come home on Monday after lunch!

I am thankful for...the little things, like the youngest being able to dress himself and how the older two are now folding their own clothes.  Rachel was even caught turning her clothing right side out before the last washing.  That never happened when Mom was the one doing the folding.

From the learning rooms...we have 4 more days of preschool before we take a break for the summer.  How much of a break, I'm not sure, as school activities are one of Josiah's favorite things to do when he's otherwise bored.  We have plenty we can pull out and work on, but the pool beckons us as well.

From the kitchen...I've mostly avoided this room over the past week.  Kids are coming home, so I'd better get reacquainted with what needs to be done.  We are going to try some different lunch ideas this summer to avoid the constant sandwich rut.  Baked potatoes, black bean nachos, maybe even some tuna/egg/chicken salad recipes.  I'm not expecting the last offerings to be well-received, so stay tuned.


I am wearing...the same top I wore to church, paired with jeans.  It was easier than changing the whole outfit.

I am creating...a wishlist on 2 websites full of items I want to buy for homeschooling.  After the used book sale this weekend, I hope to place my order.  That's a bit scary, because it means I will have to stop changing my mind about math.

I am going...to physical therapy once a week for now.  I broke my thumb when I fell down the steps in March, and finally had it X-rayed last week.  The goal is no pain by the end of summer.

I am reading...a couple of books from the Sonlight Core my children will be studying next year.  Commodore Perry and the Land of the Shogun was an eye-opener.  I've never known this piece of history, which makes me all the more thankful we will be studying the Eastern Hemisphere this year.  This mom has as much to learn as the kids.

I am hoping...to train Josiah to obey the first time he's asked.

I am hearing...such quiet.  I can even hear the birds sing, in between slurps of water by the 4-year-old.

Around the house...it's a little dusty, but cleaner than it has been in quite awhile.

One of my favorite things...is spending time with others.  I had no idea people were so fascinating in the days when I allowed shyness to rule my interactions.

A few plans for the rest of the week: Get ready for Thursday's Bible study.  Dust.  Cook some food.  Go to the library. Re-engage frenetic activity with two preteens home again.

Here is picture I am sharing from Rachel's luau the last week of school:

No comments: