Friday, June 24, 2011

celebrating our first box day

This week, 2 boxes of curriculum arrived in the mail.  There would have been more, but we are blessed with dear friends who have let us borrow all kinds of helpful resources. 

The first day, the box was full of intriguing surprises for all ages.  The boys settled in quickly with Wedgits.  I have never seen my 4-year-old so engrossed in anything, ever, a good indication that this will be a good diversion while I am teaching the other two.  But what cracks me up is that the 12-year-old boy loved them just as much.

My daughter grabbed the field guide to birds of Illinois along with her binoculars and disappeared outside for almost an hour.  She later said it was not the best day for bird watching, but she had fun identifying the few she did see.

The next day our Sonlight box arrived.  This was less fun for the kids (we already have most of the books) but more fun for me.  I am now surrounded by instructor's guides, curriculum, and resources, and barely know where to begin reading.  I'd like to dig in to it all at once.

My daughter did find the FlashMaster from Sonlight and spent quite a bit of time learning how it works.  One way or another, she is going to learn her math facts with greater accuracy!

We're still a few months away from starting school, but our adventure has already begun:

-Typing Instructor Platinum, which Eric even wants to use.

-Math review for both older kids.  Somewhere in the midst of school changes or illness my oldest missed a few key math skills.  The other just needs to shore up some shaky foundations.

-Telling time with a Judy clock for the youngest.

-A series of simplified children's classics that are too easy for my daughter, but she's constantly pulling them off the shelf to read anyway.  I'm thankful for an email from our homeschooling curriculum that said reading below skill level is actually a good thing sometimes!

-More to add in time, but things like summer are getting in the way.  :)  The oldest heads to church camp on Sunday.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Timez Attack is a computer game that has been recommended to me for shoring up wonky multiplication facts. I haven't been to the site yet, but I intend to as soon as I can get to the library and a faster computer. =) We need to send the girls out in a field somewhere with their binoculars. My oldest loves birds as well. It's amazing what she knows! Bet your girl is the same way.

leahjoy1 said...

Wow, Timez Attack looks great! Thanks for the tip. I really need to add the word "wonky" to my vocabulary. What a fun word.

Rachel doesn't know much about birds...yet, but she's on her way. Three girls in the field with binoculars and giggles. And of course, nature journals. Sounds fun, even if the birds fly away.

I hope our future holds something that involves getting our families together for more than an hour at at time...someday!