Thursday, February 24, 2011

GF and Feingold on a budget

Josiah is like a different child eating a natural diet, and we have seen Rachel's joint pain and other symptoms are directly linked to consuming gluten and casein.  A new way of eating is here to stay.

But our grocery bills have been absurd lately!  Now that we are well-established in eating gluten free and avoiding food additives, it's time to ponder what I could do to help save some money.   Here are a few ideas I have come up with:

1. Budget a set amount to use on food. 

When it's gone, we're done (but hopefully not hungry!)  It helps me to really evaluate how badly we really need a pre-made, processed treat versus making something from scratch.

2. Make a list of favorite, low budget meals. 

For those meals that cost more, what could I do to bring costs down and within budget?  Several recipes for low budget meals (including some that are allergy friendly), can be found if you check out this link: http://www.5dollardinners.com/.

3. Make a list of favorite, low budget snacks.

Most specialty-made gluten free foods and snacks are fairly expensive.  But there are some natural alternatives like fresh fruits, vegetables, soups, and chips that are more budget-friendly.  I do buy Envirokidz bars for Rachel from time to time because they are the cheapest of the gluten free snacks I can find.  I've also splurged for gluten free oreo-type cookies, but I've found I could make these myself, too: http://truebluexf.blogspot.com/2011/02/oreosgluten-free.html!

4. Get creative. 

There are a few places where I can find coupons for the foods we use, and Amazon is a great place to order GF flours.  Kroger and Meijer both have great sales and coupons online, so when I find a good buy, I can stock up.

As I make these changes, I'll share some tips and recipes.  Some of them may help any budget whether gluten-free or not.  Not only that, cooking from scratch is healthier than most things that are pre-made!

If anyone else has tips to share, please leave a comment!!

No comments: