Tuesday, April 13, 2010

His life for mine

I remember when my daughter was just a preschooler, hearing the stories of Jesus for the first time. When we came to His sufferings and cross she was especially intrigued, and as a response she drew a picture of herself gazing up at Him. I knew in my spirit that drawing represented where she was in her young spiritual life: simply taking in all Jesus had done for her. It was not long after that she committed her life to Him.

After a year of following the person of Jesus through the book of John, I find myself in a similar place. Just as Pilate said, "Behold, the Man!" I am by faith seeing Him again as if for the first time. I am awed by the majesty of His sufferings and the glory of His character. I can't think of a better response than the words of the hymn below:

Only one life to offer--Jesus, my Lord and King;
Only one tongue to praise Thee and of Thy mercy sing (f0rever);
Only one heart's devotion--Savior, O may it be
Consecrated alone to Thy matchless glory, Yielded fully to Thee.

Only this hour is mine, Lord--May it be used for Thee;
May every passing moment count for eternity (my Savior);
Souls all about are dying, Dying in sin and shame;
Help me bring them the message of Calvary's redemption
In Thy glorious name.

Only one life to offer--Take it, dear Lord, I pray;
Nothing from Thee withholding, Thy will I now obey (my Jesus);
Thou who hast freely given Thine all in all for me,
Claim this life for Thine own to be used, my Savior,
Every moment for Thee.

No comments: