Tuesday, March 9, 2010

the gift of the Spirit

"But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you..." John 16:7

I have been meditating this week on how good it is for Jesus to have sent His Holy Spirit. Through Him, we have continual access to Jesus' thoughts, words, guidance, teaching, encouragement, and power. No wonder the disciples were able to minister in such powerful ways after Pentecost!! And just think: we have the same access to that Spirit today.

Spirit of God, Descend Upon My Heart

Spirit of God, descend upon my heart:
Wean it from earth, thro' all its pulses move.
Stoop to my weakness, mighty as Thou art,
And make me love Thee as I ought to love.

Hast Thou not bid us love Thee, God and King?
All, all Thine own: soul, heart and strength and mind.
I see Thy cross--there teach my heart to cling;
O let me seek Thee, and O let me find.

Teach me to feel that Thou art always nigh;
Teach me the struggles of the soul to bear--
To check the rising doubt, the rebel sigh;
Teach me the patience of unanswered prayer.

Teach me to love Thee as Thine angels love,
One holy passion filling all my frame:
The baptism of the heav'n descended Dove--
My heart an altar and Thy love the flame.


Note to Erin...I was so excited to get to use my new knowledge of the dashes in this post, but apparently it doesn't work to make an M dash in blogspot!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Leah, I really liked the sweetness of this post (even with the double-dashes for em dashes! which is the proper substitute, by the way).