Friday, February 19, 2010

what's the view like at three feet tall?

I had my list, my coupons, and a block of time reserved. My purpose and aim: buy groceries.

Josiah saw it differently, as usual. This was his time to practice his gallop, down the long (mostly deserted) aisles at high speed. Time to stop and admire the fish and the lobsters as he does every week. Grocery day means cookie day, one of our last stops in the store and the hardest thing of all to wait for. But most of all, getting groceries means conversations with people. He enthusiastically engages the store managers, the man who stocks Pepsi products ("What are you doing?"), and the men and women who greet us at the door. Hugs are given liberally to anyone who looks like they may need one. Nothing holds this boy back: he doesn't take height, age, girth, intelligence, ethnic or religious background, or how able-bodied they are into consideration. He simply spreads joy and love generously wherever he goes. Every single week, without fail, someone comments on his friendly ways and tells me he will go far in life.* Yesterday he found (and hugged) a 4-year-old boy who was obviously his kindred spirit in energy and character. This boy told Josiah, "You are my newest best friend." Those words easily sum up Josiah's approach to each new person he meets.

I spend most of my parenting efforts trying to get him to see things my way, but in this case, I really want to see things his way.


*Of course, we believe "how far" Josiah goes in life is entirely dependent on God's grace to him, not on his friendly personality, as much of an asset as it may be!

No comments: