Wednesday, November 25, 2009

filled to overflowing

In light of Thanksgiving, I thought I would begin to literally count my blessings and name them one by one. I tried to look past the obvious (but no less meaningful) things like family, friends, and material possessions to some of the things that might otherwise get overlooked. Here's a sample of my list...

Things I could live without but am nonetheless thankful for:
-coupons, consignment shops, and sales at Kohl's
-flannel sheets
-the produce section at Meijer
-automatic doors on our van
-the sun shining in our family room windows in the winter
-free cookies at the grocery store which motivate my youngest to behave while we shop
-a purring cat on my lap
-that I still have my oboe and sort of know how to play it

Things my children have opened my eyes to:
-the hard work of construction workers and farmers
-fantasy
-bedtime after a long day
-the color black
-Wii
-the Aunt Millie's bread man
-dogs
-how many sources of protein there are besides meat
-not crying over spilled milk

Little things that really do matter:
-an encouraging word at just the right moment
-friends who say they will pray for me and really do
-people who say thank you
-smiles of understanding at a child's misbehavior
-a child who tells me, "You're the best, Mom!" when I least deserve it
-my husband taking over the kids and ordering me out of the house for some time alone after a particularly trying day

From our church:
-17 years of shaping and learning under our departing pastor
-the most recent EWO mission conference
-the book of Colossians and women who wanted to study it as badly as I did
-seeing the MOMS group in action
-praying again with prayer corp members

Especially this:
-3 days and nights away alone with my husband for our 15th wedding anniversary
-homiletics every week for BSF
-watching my daughter learn from and overcome a difficult situation at school
-absolute truth
-hard situations which cause me to depend desperately on God and know Him as never before
-breakthroughs in prayer
-conviction of sin
-the lavish love of God and forgiveness of sin in Christ

I somehow feel like the richest woman on earth, but then I am a daughter of the King. Enjoy counting your blessings and have a blessed Thanksgiving!!!

No comments: