Sunday, September 20, 2009

the stack on my nightstand

This summer I took advantage of paying only one private tuition and began to buy parenting books from CBD. Here's a sampling of what I am reading; as usual, I tend to have my fingers in several books at a time.

Not So Fast:Slow-Down Solutions for Frenzied Families by Ann Kroeker
I told myself and my husband I would read this book slowly but will admit I'm tearing through it faster than I ought. Ann shares biblical and often counter-cultural insights into slowing our families down to savor childhood rather than sign everyone up for myriads of activities. We practiced this for many years in our family, but I have to admit that it's been harder to stay slowed down now that our oldest is approaching junior high. There is a lot in this book to ponder. I hereby commit to grabbing a pen and a journal to work through the slow down notes at the end of each chapter. My somewhat-harried husband will appreciate it.

The Princess and the Kiss and Life Lessons from The Princess and the Kiss by Jeanie Bishop
Today I began working through this favorite book with my 8-year-old daughter. Its purpose is to plant seeds of purity in young hearts. The book tells the story of a young princess who is given her first kiss (representing her purity) by her parents who help guide her to make the right choice in a husband. The thoughtful consideration of the princess in the selection of a mate contains many lessons, and the life lesson book lays out ideas for mothers who want to talk through these lessons with their girls, ending with a sweet "princess ceremony." Right now, before puberty hits, I have my daughter's ears and heart. I'm wanting to make the most of these years! Eric has the version for boys titled The Squire and the Scroll. Micah is anxious to get through it so he can be knighted in the squire ceremony!

Preparing Your Daughter for Every Woman's Battle by Shannon Ethridge
An excellent book discussing sexuality for preteens and teens. The first half is for moms to read, the second half is for moms and daughters to read together. We're not quite ready to tackle all of the content, but the first half raises many issues I need to start bringing up with my daughter. Everything I have read on this subject says to start talking earlier, not later, to lay a foundation for the teen years on sexuality and other issues. Again, Eric has Preparing Your Son For Every Man's Battle to read with our son.

Raising Unselfish Children in a Self-Absorbed World by Jill Rigby
I have already written about this book here, but it is worth another mention. A great resource and tool for raising compassionate children who want to make a difference for Christ in the world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did Ann provide helps for how to slow down in the devouring of her book? :)

Sounds like you have lots of great reading going on there!

I'd love to get together again to chat . . . perhaps in a few weeks? Keep that in mind.

leah said...

Erin,

Yes, actually Ann does give helps for slowing down! Her "slow notes" section asks the reader to sit and ponder what she's saying...and that is where I am blowing it. I'm in bed getting ready to sleep by the time I read it, and that's not too conducive to deep thinking.

I would love to get together again in a few weeks!