Friday, April 11, 2008

Life's purpose

"Of all the commandments, which is the most important?"
"The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."
Mark 12:28b-31

As I studied these words in Matthew and Mark a couple of weeks ago, it occurred to me that if these are the most important commandments, perhaps I should prayerfully evaluate my life at the start of each morning with the following questions:

1. Lord, how do You want to direct my emotions and passions today?
2. Who would you have me be for You today? How could the things that will happen make me more like Christ?
3. What would You have me know or dwell on?
4. Is there anything You would have me do, and how can I do it with all my might?

They are also the right questions to ask as the day goes by and circumstances occur that may leave me giddy with joy or reeling with anxiety. I love how Jesus starts with getting our hearts right before He asks us to love God with our actions (strength)!

If I can get past those questions honestly, the next may be harder.

5. If my love for others is a litmus test of my love for God, how am I doing?

"More love to Thee, O Christ, More love to Thee!"

No comments: