Sunday, April 27, 2008

Grasping the Eternal

(From an afternoon last fall)

I sit down with the Lord this afternoon thanking Him for what He has enabled me to accomplish today. (After a pregnancy that had me so exhausted and sick I could not even get groceries or fix dinner, followed by months with an infant with reflux who needed comfort and much patience to even get a bottle down, this feeling of accomplishing something "visible" for my family is a special gift from God.) My kitchen floor is clean, groceries are in the cupboard, the kids have medicine to help with their latest bout of allergy and sinus-related illnesses. Then it hits me that everything I have done is only temporary...once again (too soon) the floor will be dirty, our groceries will be eaten, children will get sick. It seems as moms that we work hard all day only to get up and do it all again in the morning!! Yet God invites me daily to spend time with Him, the Eternal One. The kinds of things He is accomplishing today will last forever...the salvation of souls, the healing of hearts, the shaping of character, and they will take place here in my family and all across the world. As I spend time in His word and in prayer, He invites me to be a part of something that will last. I may then carry His purposes into the motivation of each action I take through the day. No matter how much I have to do or how much I may accomplish, the best time I spend each day is when I am bowed before the throne in my heart, taking part in God's eternal purposes.

No comments: