Sunday, August 28, 2011

remembering eighteen years ago today...

The day started rainy, but the sky began to clear as the hours clicked by.  Eric called and arranged a date.  I insisted that we not eat out, to save him money.  I fixed a box of macaroni and cheese for our supper, followed by a walk to Ash Park.  Since then, that park has been renamed Anderson.  We live right down the street from it today, but it's no longer close enough to walk.  Our kids think it is the best place in town to play.

I don't remember the walk, or if I was suspicious of the large bag Eric was carrying.  I do remembering sitting on the ground on a couple of Wal-Mart bags.  Eric opened his bag and drew out a large white bear holding a heart.  Behind the heart was a box, and in the box was a ring.

He didn't get on his knees, and he says it was because of the wet grass.  It didn't matter to me.  When he asked the question, I said yes.

I love the memory of that day, because it so captures our relationship.  We don't need a lot of fanfare to have fun together.  We still love to take walks, even with three kids tagging along.

The reason I'm remembering is because it's the same day as his parents' anniversary.  Now there are two generations united by the memory of one special date.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Happy Anniversary! I pray next year is the best one yet. =)

leah said...

Thanks, Beth! It's the anniversary of the proposal...fun to remember. We don't always think of it, but for some reason we both did this year. I made a better supper tonight, but did eat mac and cheese for lunch. Some things don't change much.