Tuesday, December 9, 2008

raising saints for the Lord

I stumbled recently onto a treasure on the internet: Elisabeth Elliot's daily blog. While I think that most of what is posted there must have been written years ago, it is full of sage advice from this woman whom so many admire. I share the address with any who are interested: www.elisabethelliot.org/devotional.html. I think one of the things that draws me to her writings is her firm grasp on living the crucified life: one of self denial, gladly taking up the cross and bearing all things for Christ. This would be a hard pill to swallow if it weren't that she has lived it out repeatedly and successfully in her own life.

I enjoyed reading her blog today on teaching children self-denial. I can't help but believe this is a lost art in our day and culture. I know my youngest has tested me in this. Who ever thought I would have to discipline a child to stop requesting something repeatedly? To stay with Mom and not wander off? (Well, anyway, I never faced these behaviors with my first two.) I appreciated a few days ago when Elisabeth urged mothers to help their children know that our words mean something. "Come here," means something. "No" does as well. As children learn that words mean something, it will be easier to accept that when God says something in His Word, it means something as well.

It is easy to get wrapped up in my children and make them my life. However, it is a higher goal to help my children get wrapped up in the Lord and give their lives to Him. At times that will mean learning to yield their desires and not always be the center of attention regarding everything that takes place in the home. It takes self discipline and self denial. Lord, help me to have wisdom in this!

No comments: