Wednesday, August 14, 2013

just me and my daughter

 I'm experiencing more emotions than I can count as we anticipate the start of a new school year and the boys heading off to public school.  However, almost lost in the shadow of all the details of shopping for school supplies, having my youngest start school the same year the oldest begins high school, registration, and school meetings is one very special fact: I have Rachel all to myself this year!
 
 
We moved her desk upstairs and right in front of the window per her request.  I can see why she would like this spot and may have to steal it from her someday.  Will the desk ever look that clean again in the next 9 months?

 
It was really hard to choose where to place Rachel in the Heart of Dakota curriculum, as studying ancient history intertwined with Biblical history was so tempting.  However, in the end it made the most sense to go with the middle ages because that is a better reflection of where she fits skill-wise. She also jumped at this study since it includes a Shakespeare unit: that means theater!! Since HOD is a 4 day a week program, we have time to read The Mystery of History: Creation to Christ on Fridays.  The best of both worlds, so long as she can keep it straight in her head.  Timelines will help.
 
Josiah is off to Grandma and Grandpa's house for 3 days, so Rachel and I are jumping in with half days this week.  The curriculum is a lot like Sonlight (what we have used the past 2 years) in terms of being literature-rich, but very different with more hands on and writing/narrating/reflecting on what is being read.  Almost everything we are doing this year is new: we are trying Saxon math and a different Spanish program, too. I'm anxious to see how it goes!  But also wondering how summer ended so quickly...

No comments: