Saturday, May 19, 2012

Gluten Free Lemon Coconut Muffins

If there is anything gluten free cooking has taught me, it's how to play with my food....er...my recipes.  That's not to say every kitchen experiment turns out wonderful.  Recently I tried replacing the dried cranberries in this recipe with dried mango and pear.  The results were not spectacular, even though they were edible.  (One dried fruit OR the other would have probably been better, but my daughter actually thought they were the best muffins she'd ever had!)

One of my favorite recipes pre-GF was this one from $5 Dinner Mom's Breakfast and Lunch Cookbook.  While I could have easily substituted a GF rice flour blend in the recipe and had a similar result, my mind kept turning to coconut flour.  With more protein, fiber, and nutrients, it always seems like a better option for my youngest son to keep his tummy full and blood sugar stable.  So, this morning, I sat down with my other coconut flour muffin recipes, my $5 Dinner Mom cookbook, and came up with this.

Coconut Flour Lemon Coconut Muffins

1 c. coconut flour
1/2 t. sea salt
1 t. baking soda
12 eggs
3/4 c. coconut milk
1/4 c. lemon juice or juice from 2 lemons
1 t. lemon extract (make sure it is gluten free)
2/3 c. sugar
1 c. coconut (I used unsweetened)

Fill muffin cups until almost full and bake on 400 for 20 min.

I did learn yet again from my kitchen experiment...I forgot to add the coconut milk.  The results were still good, but would probably be better and apt to stick less to the muffin papers if you include it.  Enjoy!

6 comments:

chacha said...

I was just munching on one that I'd subbed dried cherries and wondering which stage 1 fruit might work best.

I love the sound of lemon juice for vanilla!

I find unless I use the unbleached muffin papers from If You Care I have to peel the papers off right after they cool or they stick. Never knew there was such a difference until I ran out of them last week. The IYC papers are more like parchment and peel off clean every time.

leah said...

Cherries sound wonderful--Eric would go for that for sure. We're slowly testing stage 2 for Josiah so who knows what might work? I'll keep trying because your recipe is a keeper!

I'll check out the IYC muffin papers. Mine almost always stick, but it sure doesn't help when the muffins are a bit on the dry side. :)

leah said...

Their website says I can find them at the Jewel stores here. I'll have to take a peek!

chacha said...

Glad they're available to you. When I do big batch baking I can pop them off just cooled muffins and pop them right back in the muffin cups - they come off that clean the first and second time.

leah said...

I didn't find them after all. Another thing to add to my WF shopping list!

chacha said...

Yes - you'll find them there for sure.