Wednesday, February 22, 2012

learning to write

Teaching children how to write well can be an intimidating task.  However, curriculum from the Institute for Excellence in Writing has helped us walk through this process together with relative ease.  It has been gratifying to watch both of my children develop as writers.  This was not a strength for either of them, partly because they had not yet been taught how to do it well.  Once again, it is fun to read what two very different children will do with the same assignment (see below). 

Next year, we may add this component and work through the curriculum again.  The goal this year for one child in particular was to learn how to write paragraphs and stay on subject.  Advanced dress ups, sentence openers, and decorations will come more easily once this skill has been practiced.  Now, if I could just carve some time into my schedule to practice these skills, perhaps my writing would improve, too!  Otherwise, my oldest son is going to quickly pass me by in this area, although I suppose it's inevitable no matter what I do.

My Buddy
 by Rachel

We got Eddie our dog at the Humane Society. It was definitely a happy day, as exciting as Christmas because he’s a great dog. Eddie is exciting, sleepy, and playful. Dad picked him up so he could come home.

He sleeps all the time. He looks peacefully at me because he is getting sleepy. His beautiful nose twitches. He spies to see if anyone’s around. Then his eyes get heavy. Then he who drops off to sleep looks cute.

Eddie can get over excited sometimes. He enjoys when people come through the door because he loves people. If he loves the person who walks through the door he will jump on them. He will get too excited. Then he will trot until he is worn out.

He will play slyly with me, most of the time. I will seize him, and then if he is agreeable, he will sit down on my lap. Eddie who does this with excitement will get of my lap soon. I enjoy playing with him. The best spot is on the swings outside. Then he will go to sleep by me on the couch because he is tired.

He sleeps, gets excited and plays. If he is sick we enjoy another visit to the doctor. He’s my friendly buddy; sadly he can’t view things too well because he’s blind. Eddie, who is the best dog I could ever have, lies in the sun. He’s truly my buddy and friend.

Eddie “Quirky” Rhodes

By Micah

One February morning, Eddie came to live in the…slightly strange Rhodes’ house. We obtained this hyperexcitedohboyohboyletmejumponyou! canine from the Humane Society. The reason I (without consulting family members) added the middle name “Quirky” to his name (in the title) originates from three areas of his life. The area that should be addressed first: Eddie thinks he is a cat. Next area: he has a weird diet. Finally, I have meshed various…ah…behaviors into the third area.

Now, when I say Eddie thinks he is a cat, I obviously don’t mean all the time. Regarding some unnatural lifestyles, however, it does appear to be most of the time. Typically, when he wants to be pet, - which is often - he will jump on someone’s lap. Eddie is usually allowed to stay there because he isn’t very large. Purring with delight, he settles down for a massage. Yes, I did say purring. It’s really more like heavy breathing, like he’s trying to purr, but he only does it when he is content. Like a cat, his favorite activity is sleeping. Eddie loves lying in the sun, a feline habit. Sneakily, without permission, he will get into the cat’s room and eat cat food! I just hope the end result isn’t like a sick cat!

Eddie’s diet is also undoubtedly unusual. He delights in consuming fruits, especially ripe bananas. That dog likes cat food, which I mentioned above. Jumping on the table, (while we are absent) Eddie will eat any food we carelessly left on it. Similarly, he will raid the trash cans for any tossed-out goodies. Despite this feasting, we still let him eat food that has fallen on the floor. And, of course, Eddie has to have his scrumptious dog food!

Additionally, Eddie has other quirks. Being blind means he careens into things, because he can’t see them (it’s pretty hilarious, but the poor dog’s head must hurt!). Because of his love of people, he pines when we leave. Part of his excitement routine consists of the “Doggy Dance”, which is when he lies down, sticks his legs in the air, and rapidly wriggles from side to side. Eddie perks up his oversized ears at the word “treat”, even if it is used in a bigger word, like "retreat." When he is spooked, (like if he sees his reflection) he will “werf” at it. Eddie hates thunder and will pant, pace, whine, and tremble if he hears it. The only way I can describe this quirky dog is a Rhodes-invented word: ripricky (rip-ric-ee).

Concerning these traits of strange diet, behaviors, and view of self as cat, Eddie is the weirdest creature we’ve had so far. But aside from his quirks, Eddie is as friendly as dogs get (Down, boy!) Still, he’s too strange to take “Quirky” out of his name!

No comments: