Tuesday, August 18, 2009

challenge #2

Ever since both my kids were in school, there has been a constant battle in the mornings when I drop them off. Who can race to the door and get in first? At home, they push each other aside, trying to be first. On walks, they constantly battle to be the leader. We've been working on this for 3 years now. You'd think there would be some improvement.

This week's challenge is to open the door and hold it for others, letting them go in first. Tally marks go up on the refrigerator but it is not a contest except with yourself. Even Josiah is getting involved. People we don't even know have the door held open for them.

Whenever I get frustrated with my kids' "me first" behavior, I am reminded that Jesus had to talk to His disciples about it. Often. And again. Seems they were constantly arguing about who should be first and greatest in God's kingdom. If it took them awhile to understand, it should come as no surprise I have to remind my children and even have them practice once in awhile.

See you at the door. After you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mark 10 was in my reading yesterday; it contained this scenario w/the disciples jockeying for the best spot! Great idea on reinforcing the servant nature. Maybe I need a tally for myself . . .